Ionic liquids are a novel class of functional, stable solvents that are tuneable in a very wide range. They offer a unique property combination like non-volatility, intrinsic conductivity along with high chemical, thermal and electrochemical stability. Along with their recyclability this makes their usage beneficial for a large range of applications and improvement of existing technologies especially in the context of a more sustainable chemistry and electrochemistry.
Our work primarily focuses on:
- The synthesis of novel ionic liquids and investigation of their fundamental physical properties
- Fundamental aspects such as structuring and diffusion processes
- The incorporation into electrochemical applications such as redox-flow batteries, fuel cells and batteries
- Structure optimization for the usage as solvent-free electrolytes
- Transfer of this up-to-date reseach field from scientific disciplines into didactic experiments